Monday, December 23, 2013

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year


Since most of my readers are not portuguese I think it's important to share what is usually the traditional Christmas Eve meal in Portugal. Codfish is like the national dish (even though it is brought from the North of Europe) and therefore it couldn't be absent from that night. Boiled codfish with potatoes is the dish for the night and at least the tradition from where my mom is from it comes with  a sauce made out of olive oil, onions, garlic, cumin, paprika and vinegar. Deserts vary a little bit but stuff like rabanadas  (equivalent to french toast), sonhos (http://armazemdasespeciarias.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/sonhos-de-natal.jpg)  are a must have item, but usually people enjoy a wild card! Usually I go for american deserts, since that's what most of my family has never had, this year I might be trying to bake chocolate bourbon pecan pie!
Time to start baking! Suggestions for deserts are accepted starting now!

No comments:

Post a Comment